Configuring series type of field / Setting up Number Generator
Series is a field type that is connected to a Number series (Number Generator). That means that you need to set up a Number series first and then you can connect it to a Series field.
1. Setting up a Number series
On Number Generator click RMB (Right Mouse Button) and choose Add new series:
Give a appropriate name to the series in the Name field and define the Series options:
- Start - The start value for the series
- End - The end value for the series
- Length - The length of the field, i.e. how many numbers there are in the field. For example 8 means that the first value in the series will be "00000001"
- Prefix - You can add a prefix to the series using this option. For example adding prefix "ITM-" to number "00000001" would result in having "ITM-00000001" as the final number
- Suffix - You can add a suffix to a series using this option. For example adding suffix "-ITM" to number "00000001" would result in having "00000001-ITM" as the final number
2. Connect a Number series to a Series field
Choose the iProperty that you want to connect the Number series to (or make a new iProperty). Select the type for the field. In this case Series:
In the Series options, go to Series field and choose the number series that you made before from the dropdown;
Note: You can connect the same number series to different file types (part, assembly etc.), by adding the same series to some iProperty for these file types. For example you can connect your series to both the Part's and the Assembly's "Part Number" iProperty.
Note2: You can specify many number series, if you need a different series for for example the "Part Number" and the "Stock Number".